I'm pretty excited to be in my first bee, the Comfort Quilts Quilting Bee, where all the blocks will go into quilts that will be made for those facing health issues or death of a loved one. It's a win-win: I get to try new blocks and improve my quilting skills (hopefully) while doing some good.
February is our first month and we are using this great tutorial by our queen bee.
I read over the instructions and it seemed pretty straight forward. It took me a while to pull out enough different scraps (which was a bit of a challenge because I needed 16 darks and 16 lights so there are definitely some fugly fabrics in there) and cut all the pieces. I spent quite a bit of time playing around with the layout of all the HSTs. Here are the two blocks I made:
Not bad, I thought to myself. I don't love all the fabrics I used, but everything seemed to line up pretty nicely so I was still pretty proud of myself. So I go ahead and upload my pictures to flickr and drop them into my bee group. It wasn't until I looked at the blocks the others had make that it clicked in my head...yikes I messed up the layout! It was supposed to be light coloured fabrics in the middle, not the dark ones...*sigh*. So now I am spending some quality time with my seam ripper...lesson learned!